Canadian summer is heating up and it’s time to start hosting! We’re excited to share this collection of unique ideas for your next summer gathering, in collaboration with TGR Brand partner Humble Potato Chips. As Canada’s first certified organic potato chips packaged in certified plastic-free, compostable bags, we can think of no better way to celebrate sustainable summer snacking.
Below, you’ll find three fun + simple ideas for bringing your favourite people together, alongside a special offer in partnership with our friends at HPC. To broaden the menu and keep your hosting duties low-impact, all of the ideas below can be turned into a potluck by suggesting your friends bring their favorite item in alignment with the theme!
The Backyard Movie Night
Whether you’re screening on a projector or keeping it chill with a laptop, there is something *so* cozy about creating a cinema in your own backyard.
- Salty: popcorn is an absolute must when it comes to enjoying a movie night! We love classic stovetop with a sprinkling of nutritional yeast
- Sweet: put together a selection of classic theatre snacks like chocolate-covered raisins, hard candy, and licorice
- Savoury: Humble Potato Chips Smokey BBQ
Coziness is the name of the game here, and we’re pulling out all the stops. If you’re doing a projector screening, collect lawn chairs, loungers, and recliners, and layer them with pillows and blankets. For a more intimate screening, take your plush setup into a tent and sit your laptop on a small box or table.
The Brunch Picnic
Is there anything better than laying down a blanket to dine al fresco (and barefoot!) with the sun shining overhead? Actually, yes – exactly that, but make it brunch.
- A simple fruit salad with watermelon, mint, feta, and lime
- Toothpick skewers with prosciutto-wrapped cantaloupe
- Smoked salmon cream cheese with Humble Potato Chips Creamy Dill for dipping
In addition to the beautiful linens you’ll be seated on, you’ll need enough napkins, cups, plates, and cutlery for each guest. For an added sense of elegance – and sustainability – wrap up your favorite set from home and bring it along to avoid creating unnecessary waste with disposables.
Bring a folding table and tablecloth, and place it to the side of your seating area. This will keep food clean + kept, while serving as the perfect place to arrange your mimosa bar. You heard that right. Make your event sparkle with a bottle of your favorite bubbly, paired with a mimosa bar starring a selection of fruit juices.
Summer Camp Dinner Party
Let’s throw it back to spooky stories around the campfire, hearty snacks, and silly summer memories. This dinner party is all about simple pleasures amongst good company.
- Classic hot dogs with all the fixin’s
- Potato salad with mayo dressing, potatoes, celery, and red onion
- S’mores (or S’mores brownies, if you don’t have access to an open fire!)
- Humble Potato Chips Original
To reminisce on summers past, a checkered tablecloth and some colourful bunting is a must! Decorate with tea lights and lanterns, while putting on a blend of classic + current Canadian campfire tunes from The Tragically Hip and The Arkells. For drinks, consider a fruity punch or cold cider (spiked, or not!), served in metal camping cups.
To celebrate summer with Humble Chips, we’re hosting a giveaway! Head to this post for the chance to win a Hello Summer box, and enter by Friday, July 22nd.